PR Admin    HyperLink HyperLink
You are here >> Skip Navigation Links
Education and Learning
Govt Website
Go directly to Govt Website

Select Website

HyperLink HyperLink
Tertiary Education

Who are eligible for tertiary education?

Post-secondary graduates on a point system in respect to their results in 3 ‘A’ Level subjects are eligible to get a scholarship for tertiary education. Their behaviour and participation in activities are also taken into account.

Also, employers of an organization may decide on the candidates whom they wish to nominate for overseas training. These nominations should feature as top priorities on the annual organisational training plan submitted by employing organisations to the Manpower Development Division towards the end of the year.

Who pays for the overseas tertiary education?

Students, who have been granted scholarships and have obtained 28 academic points, and all those opting for teaching, will be granted full sponsorship by the Government of Seychelles.

Other students will be assisted by the Government with full tuition fees and full/or partial funding of their stipends based on their parents’ income. The percentage of payment will be determined by the total parental income.

What is a Bonding Agreement?

It is an agreement signed by all students before they proceed on overseas training. It specifies the cost of their training and the length of time that they will have to work for the country/Government/specified organisations upon their return.

This agreement is a guarantee for the Government to ensure that students do return to give back to the country what has been invested in their training. In cases of default legal action is initiated against the students and/or their guarantors.

The maximum bonding term is five years. Students who opt for fields determined to be priority areas are bonded for five years. This is to ensure a continuous supply of manpower until the demand in those fields is exhausted.

What are type of allowances given to a person proceeding for overseas training?

  • Preparatory - This allowance is given only to pre-service students (i.e., those unemployed such as Polytechnic graduates fresh from school and who have not yet been appointed to a post) before they leave to help them with such preparatory expenses as buying a suitcase, clothes, etc. This is given to all such students regardless of who is sponsoring their training.

  • Outfit - This is an annual allowance given to all students, regardless of the duration of their training, but only if it is not provided by the sponsors.

  • Book - Another annual allowance, given to meet the costs of books and other study materials. Students receive this allowance only if the sponsors do not provide it.

  • Maintenance/Living stipend - This is an allowance, disbursed monthly or quarterly, that is given to help students meet their daily living expenses. The amount awarded to Seychelles Government sponsored students usually depends on the cost of living in the host country. Other students receive their stipends from sponsoring governments or agencies.

  • Supplementary - A supplementary allowance may be paid to students only in cases where it is felt that the stipends provided by their sponsors are not enough to cover their living expenses. This allowance too is paid monthly or every three months.

  • Thesis/Dissertation - This allowance is given to students who are doing a postgraduate course, to help them meet the costs (typing, photocopying, etc.) of producing a thesis or dissertation that is required as part of their studies. Students qualify for this allowance only if it is not already provided by other sponsors.

  • Excess luggage - Students sponsored by the Seychelles Government, whose course durations are over one year, are entitled to 20 kilos of unaccompanied luggage on their return home, upon completion of their studies. This allowance will apply to other students only if it is not being provided by their sponsors.

  • Transit/Travel - A transit/travel allowance is given to cover overnight accommodation and other expenses incurred during long trips.

  • Salaries - In-service students (i.e., those who are employed at the time of going abroad on training) are usually paid one-third of their salary for the duration of their course if it is more than two months.

    However, students may, with justification, apply for either two-thirds or their full salary.

    Receiving a salary does not necessarily preclude a student from benefiting from other allowances.

  • Insurance - The Seychelles Government insures all students against most medical expenses and baggage loss while travelling, as well as repatriation of corpse in cases of deaths. Students whose sponsorship does not include insurance are also covered.

    The medical insurance will not, however, cover costs for dental or eye treatment. Such expenses will have to be catered for by the students themselves.

  • Air Fares - Air fares at the start and on completion of training will be paid by the Seychelles Government if they are not provided by other sponsors. The ticket will cover the cheapest and most direct route between Seychelles and the country of study.

    Normally, all students are requested to return to Seychelles within two weeks of completing their training.

    Students wishing to return home to visit families during their school vacation will have to do so at their own cost. The Ministry will be able, however, to assist with an official letter which will allow them to pay the air fare in Seychelles rupees if the ticket is purchased from Air Seychelles . This transaction can be done through parents or close relatives in Seychelles.

    If there is serious illness or death in the family (father, mother, brother or sister), a student may apply for assistance in returning home temporarily, and a ticket will be offered on compassionate grounds. It is important that the student informs the Ministry before undertaking the journey home. This can be done directly or through parents or relatives in Seychelles.

Where can I obtain more information about tertiary education?

More information about tertiary education and initiatives can be obtained from the Ministry of Education. You may contact either office from Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, except on public holidays.

Ministry of Education
Mont Fleuri,
P.O. Box 48,
Telex: 2305 MINED SZ
Telephone number: (+248)283283
Fax number: (+248)224859
Education Services Bureau:

Other Information
Key Links