PR Admin    HyperLink HyperLink
You are here >> Skip Navigation LinksHome : My Citizen : Family and Community : Change of name
Family and Community
Govt Website
Go directly to Govt Website

Select Website

HyperLink HyperLink
Change of Name

There are several reasons why someone wants to change their name of name of their child. Regardless of the reason, the process is the same.

Who can change the name?

A citizen of Seychelles by birth or naturalization and has resided in Seychelles for three years may apply by petition to the Chief Officer of the Civil Status for leave to make change or addition of his name, surname or family name.

Where do I need to go?

You need to go to the Civil Status office in Independence house on ground floor.

What documents do I require?

• Birth certificate or,
• naturalization certificate.

How much does it cost?

  • Processing fee of application is SCR1,000/-
  • The publications fee in the Official Gazette by the Attorney General's Chambers is SCR1025/-
  • Published information in Seychelles Nation SCR 189.75 for three publications

What I should know about changing my name?

• The application will be published three times in the Official Gazette for four months. The application will be approved if no objection has been lodged or on good and sufficient ground in support of the application.
• Once you are married, automatically your husband's surname will be your new surname. You need not go to Civil Status office to change your surname.
• If you happen to be divorced and you wish to be known by your maiden name, then you need to certify with the Civil Status office as to that you are divorced. Then you can proceed to get your new National Identity card.

Where do I get more information?

Independence House central office
Telephone No: + (248) 429 36 36

Telephone No: + (248) 423 26 04

La Digue
Telephone No: + (248) 2520753

E mail:

Opening hours: 8.00am -4pm

Other Information
Key Links